logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Short mkgmap HowTo

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Jul 30 18:31:57 BST 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 02:41:42PM +0200, WanMil wrote:
>I have created a short HowTo in the wiki for first time users:
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/How_to_create_a_map

Thanks your the great work, WanMil!

>I think that's a good thing for first time users because the other wiki
>pages contain a bit too much information if you are using mkgmap for the
>first time.

One thing that might be too much information is character encodings. The
wiki page does not mention them and does not include a --code-page
option. Perhaps this could be a link to the more advanced documentation?
Or could --code-page=1252 be a reasonable "default" worth mentioning?

I am embarrassed for not doing that much recently, and do not really
feel entitled to ask this: How difficult would it be to write the
address index information in the device format, eliminating the need for
MapSource?

Best regards,

	Marko