logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] exclude words from city / state

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sat Jul 23 13:14:43 BST 2011

Hi,

the style system provides a substitution filter which can remove the
'Gemeinde' prefix:

The following rule from the locator branch is expanded with
"|subst:Gemeinde ":
mkgmap:country=AUT & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level8=* { set
mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level8|subst:Gemeinde }' }

The subst value filter searches for "Gemeinde " (I also want to remove
the whitespace at the end) and replaces that with an empty string. If
you want to replace that with something else you can build a rule like:
${mkgmap:admin_level8|subst:Gemeinde =>City }
This replaces "Gemeinde " with "City ".

Maybe we should create a similar filter that is more comfortable and
optimized for removing multiple prefixed strings and/or postfixed
strings. Please send your ideas.

WanMil

> [...]
> in the name before the name of the city. That prefix is in my opinion
> obsolete information. Using a Garmin one always needs to type this
> prefix 'Gemeinde'. Does anyone know hoe we can get rid of typing this
> prefix in Garmin devices?
>
> Cheers, Johan

>>> Well it is not that I am not interested at all in it. But I don't
>>> think
>>> it is a good way to do in the long run. It will never yield better
>>> 90%
>>> accuracy, and it stops people mapping correctly (real addresses) and
>>> it
>>> might promote people to map boundaries wrongly, in order to get
>>> addresses right (like some years ago people retagging highway=path
>>> because Osmarender and the dreaded Opencyclemap would not render
>>> them
>>> and thereby causing a widely spread misconception of understanding
>>> the
>>> "Do not tag for renderers" into "Map as you like, it does not have
>>> to be
>>> readable in a consistent form, renderers should be creative and
>>> intelligent in understanding what my custom tagging means").
>>>
>>> I hope, maybe at least by using "add" instead of "set" the current
>>> way
>>> can be enhanced, but the fact that the current locator branch
>>> destructs
>>> and thus renders invalid correct addresses is a real nogo for me
>>> (and
>>> shouldn't be promoted by such a popular tool like mkgmap).
>>>
>>> Using the trunk, I can find about 90% of streets in Austria (tested
>>> in
>>> cities and countryside) in the correct city, with locator this drops
>>> less than 10% as boundary name for a city is in most cases different
>>> from address name of a city.
>>>
>>> Also I think searching for routes, footways, pathes or tracks is
>>> indeed
>>> an important feature, where the current locator branch approach is
>>> the
>>> best method (just the problem that the name of a boundary, is not
>>> the
>>> name of the address persists and is really bad - at least in Austria
>>> in
>>> my eyes it makes the city choice nearly unusable).
>>
>> That's where the style system comes into play. If you don't want to
>> use
>> the boundaries you don't have to. Maybe it does not work perfectly at
>> the moment but it is a branch. If the majority of the list doesn't
>> like
>> it at the *end* of development we can trash it. It's just a study if
>> it
>> improves mkgmap. And in the end it's open source so you can
>> contribute
>> with source code *any* time if you think you can improve parts of it.

>>> Okay, I'll see if I can understand how it works.
>>>
>>> BTW will right now test why the locator branch crashes on some
>>> for me, while the normal mkgmap trunk processes them in a matter
>>> of<30
>>> seconds. Maybe I got the pbf support wrong (by including
>>> outdated/future