logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] A few default stylesheet tweaks

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Tue Jul 19 01:19:29 BST 2011

Lambertus <osm at na1400.info> writes:

> In urban areas the communication towers totally overrule everything else
> on the map. Personally this more then nullifies the benefit in the
> countryside. The powerlines distract from the rest of the map but to a
> lesser extent so I can live with that.

I see your point, but I wonder about two things in the glorious future:

  different tagging of true towers, which are prominent objects in the
  landscape, vs cell antennas on a building

  some way to omit objects when they'd be clutter (or change the scale
  at which they are displayed), which would require mkgmap to have some
  notion of local density of map features.  This isn't specifically
  about your tower issue, but I'd like to see restuarants at 200m scale
  in non-urban areas, because at 80m scale often you can't even see the
  a patch.

> I received multiple reports from
> people arguing that the higher admin levels confuse them as they are
> prominently displayed, but I'll propose a compromise to not showing only
> 9 and 10 if 8 is deemed useful. :-)

I haven't personally started using TYP files, but it seems that OSM has
more data than the original garmin maps and without finer-grained
control of how things render and at what scale we are running into
clutter problems.

That said, as one of the "8 is necessary" people, I don't know what 9
and 10 would be used for.  To give a sense of the usage of 8 in my
state, here's an area where I put in just one town's boundary (since I'm
partly responsible for it on behalf of town government):
  http://osm.org/go/ZfIZyVr
The lines going west are county (admin_level=6); the admin_level=8
boundary is probably roughly 6 km x 6 km, which seems large.

> Currently I'm pre-filtering these things before feeding the data into
> splitter but the admin levels are used in the new address search version
> and some of these polygons are used for roads as well and disappear from
> the map when the polygon is pre-filtered out. Perhaps there is another
> solution for this? E.g. renaming admin levels to something else, or
> duplicate ways which have other tags?

Have you just tried just removing the rule that maps admin_level to a
line type?  I had the impression mkgmap is happy to ignore points and
ways that have no matching rules and just not generate a garmin type.
Thus a way that is both a highway=secondary and admin_level=8 would get
the highway rendering.