logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Level and Resolution

From Roger Calvert roger at rogercalvert.me.uk on Sat Jul 16 19:41:27 BST 2011

I am having a problem with level/resolution, and would appreciate advice.

I have mapped 'barrier=gate' to an unused Garmin code using the instruction

barrier=gate {add name = 'gate'} [0x1600 level 2]

in the 'points' style file, with a corresponding entry defining a
graphic in the TYP file.

This works, except that it appears at all magnifications in MapSource,
but only at very high resolution (scale = 120ft) in the GPS. Changing
the 'level' or using 'resolution' instead seems to make no difference.

I have a very similar problem with 'railway=rail'. Whatever the
resolution in the 'lines' file, it appears all the time in MapSource,
but only below 0.3 miles resolution in the GPS. But other lines - e.g.
'highway=track' appear much earlier, even when they have the same
resolution or level.

It appears that both MapSource and the GPS are ignoring the
resolution/level in the style files and imposing their own (different)
defaults.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Roger Calvert