logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Index and equally named cities

From maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com on Thu Jul 14 03:46:20 BST 2011

Just to add another observation.
Under the address search, you are prompted to spell a city.  In my
previous mkgmap compile, you can only find a city if it is within the
tile of your current location.  With city-region-index I can now
select all cities in my map and search streetnames.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:25 AM, Peter Lerner <peter at lerner.de> wrote:
> Steve,
>
>> Done. Its at: http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/33/mkgmap.jar
>
> I think "locator + city-region-index branches (2)" is a milestone!
> This is a strong "+1" from my side to commit the changes as soon as
> possible and try to base a stable mkgmap release v1.0(?) on this version.
>
> For a long time ever I was able to load a 4 GB map witout problems to a
> GPS. The map included cyrillic language tiles and tiles that were
> mutually "incompatible" before due to index problems.
> Also no more MDR_TRIM problems ... ;-)
>

> My current findings on the search address funtion so far. I'm using an
> "old" GPSmap 62 CSx.
>
> -- the region field is not available, only fields for
>    housenumber, street and city
>
> -- only a combination of housenumber and street can be found;
>    housenumber doesn't matter
>   (i'm not using locator-branch special rules)
>
> -- the found location is slightly offset from the
>    real course of the street displayed on the GPS
>
> -- searching for streetnames, GPSmap 62XSx lists only streets
>    up to ca. 40-50 km around the current location. This is
>    different from Mapsource, which lists all streets it finds.
>
> -- some streets appear multiple times in search list (2-3x);
>    this has different reasons, e.g.:
>
>    - entry 1+2: each entry leads to the same three streets
>                 equally named in three different cities some kms apart
>
>                 The behaviour that one entry leads to three
>                 different streets is OK for the current state,
>                 and subject to optimisation in the locator branch.
>
>                 The fact that the same entry is doubled in the search
>                 index needs to be investigated further.
>
>    - entry 3: this is a separate entry and possibly has to do
>               with a street tagged as cycleway=track and the
>               --make-all-cycleways option. I think this option creates
>                some problems when creating indices.
>
>                I need to investigate the unwanted side effects of this
>                option on the index further.
>
> Peter

cheers,
maning