logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] city_index -- map export with Mapsource only working for full maps, not single tiles

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Jul 11 21:30:58 BST 2011

Thanks, seems to be working out nicely. Never had a better address
search with mkgmap created maps so far. Just some notes for people on
how to search best (and also more or less an explication why the locator
branch trouble - maybe with the exeption of country borders - is not
needed, cause it works well enough anyhow, and not worth the extra
calculation time):

/Just some general hints. When searching for an address, simply skip the
city and region field and directly enter a number (doesn't matter what
number, you can also simply click on okay, as mkgmap not yet inserts
numbers into the maps even if they exist in OSM). Then enter the
streetname. Now you should already have a list of possible addresses.
For popular street names you can then still filter it down by entering a
city name. Watch out on the list however, that you get the correct one.
For example in Austria Vienna is read in as a region, and not as a city.
So you have to enter the correct vieannease district as city (or vienna
(well correctly "Wien" as region). Choosing this order it's much often
quicker to find the street. /

Now I'm really hoping that street numbers are supported soon as well. In
Vienna I'ld say we already have at least 20% of all streetnumbers
tagged, so it would be nice to see them usable in mkgmap.