logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] display of place names on lower zoom levels

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Jun 27 21:41:10 BST 2011

Also note, that labels have nothing to do with resolution. They depend
much more on the 0x type. Also there is a difference in importance of
labels of POI/POLYGON/POLYLINES.

If a place is shown but no label, then lowering the resolution won't
change (but instead create a mess in the lower resolutions).
The only improvement would be to include population>?? to places
(particulary cities & towns) for finer separation. However this would
then still cause problems if looking at i.e. Benelux/Nordrein-Westfalen
vs less populated regions.
If you want a map for Alaska you could simply lower resolution for
nearly everything by 1-2 levels. However that should not be default
(default should be based on rather heavily populated regions, as those
regions have most potential people using the maps...).