logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Mkgmap dropping data: Area too small to split at...

From NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de on Sat Jun 18 12:14:30 BST 2011

Hi!

I have been trying to build a map of portugal for a while, but it never
quite works out. There is no exception, but mkgmap shows a large number of
messags like this:

Area too small to split at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=38.59838&mlon=-7.34522&zoom=17 (reduce
the density of points, length of lines, etc.)

When this happens, the data is dropped, so the map looks rather like
patchwork. :-)

The reason seems to be a large and highly detailed lake in the area, a
multipolygon with 1600+ points. As splitting the map takes only the total
number of points into account, the lake should not be a problem, but
internally it appears that due to the extensive size of the polygon too much
detail always ends up in the same MapArea until the MapSplitter gives up and
drops the data.

>From what I've seen, this should be a general problem unless the input data
is somehow deliberately cut right through the large polygon - but I can't
figure out how to calculate the proper place to cut it or how to force a cut
there.

Can you build a map for the area -8.0, 37.8, -6.7, 38.9 without any "Area
too small to split" appearing?

bye
                  Nop