logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Footways/cycleways and motorcars

From H Suomalainen harri.suomalainen at iki.fi on Thu Jun 16 18:10:35 BST 2011

On 06/16/2011 03:58 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On 06/15/2011 03:59 PM, Francisco Moraes wrote:
>> The other day, while routing to a geocache, my Oregon wanted me to
>> "turn" into a greenway which was close to where the geocache would be.
>> Is there a way to avoid this by default? Seems to me that the default
>> style should imply motorcar=no on footway and probably also on a cycleway.
>
> I think this is a bug with the Garmin software, given I've seen similar
> issues with the off-the-shelf Navteq data as well.  I believe the
> Garmin's trying to get you as close as it can given the mode you're set
> for, and then assuming you'll get out of your car to go the last few yards.

That is Garmin behaviour indeed. Sometimes it also sticks to thinking
you're driving on a sidewalk (footway) which leads to funny behaviour
like routing failing.

I use TYP files. I've solved that by using a non-routable line type (ie.
not the normal 0x15/0x16) for cycleways and footways. This prevents
Garmin from thinking you might be on them. (Yes, this has side effects,
if you do that for a car routable cycleway, for example one with
motorcar=destination). In my TYP file I have two similar looking lines,
one that is normal routable and another non-routable.

Unfortunately this means I have to compile another map without the tweak
for cycling/walking.
--
Harri