logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Index with Arabic names

From Hosam Arnous hariov at gmail.com on Sun Jun 5 21:56:40 BST 2011

Hi...

I've used mkgmap-r1955 to convert the map of Damascus, Syria from
OpenStreetMap to IMG. I'm interested in using find places function in
MapSource, and this is the command that I've used to generate the map:

java -jar mkgmap.jar --code-page=1256 --route --index --tdbfile --nsis
--country-name=SYRIA --country-abbr=SYR map.osm

I noticed that most of Arabic labeled places can't be found in
MapSource. So I opened the file osmmap_mdr.img using text editor to
inspect it, and I found that almost none of the Arabic names is
written correctly.

For example, the Arabic name of Damascus International Airport is:
مطار دمشق الدولي
but it is written in the file osmmap_mdr.img as:
أطار دأشق اءدئءح

Now using the incorrect name above, I managed to found the airport on MapSource.

I hope you will fix this problem in the next releases..

Regards,
Hosam