logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Merge areas

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Wed Apr 27 21:42:57 BST 2011

>> I plan to add an R*-tree to get a better performance in the locator
>> branch. Maybe this might be reused.
>> If someone (Daniel?) likes to implement the R*-tree please lift your
>> fingers. I am not very keen on doing this and it would help a lot!
>>
> Have you looked around, if there is some implementation already available?
> At a quick search I have found some interesting projects:
>
> http://www.rtreeportal.org/code.html  seems to have a small use ready
> R*-tree project.  Not sure about the license.
>
> http://www2.research.att.com/~marioh/spatialindex/ looks more overloaded
> with unneeded features.
>
> http://en.giswiki.net/wiki/JSI_%28Java_Spatial_Index%29_RTree_Library is
> an open source project.

Hi Johann,

thanks for your query. If found the first two projects myself. The
source code is quite old stylish and lot of work seems to be necessary
to use the two projects.
But the third one looks like a perfect match!
1. The project is alive
2. The R-Tree is completely kept in memory
3. It's open source and the licence should be ok for us

After a first short try I got some exceptions with the R-Tree but I
think these are little problems that can be fixed.

Thanks for hint!!
WanMil