logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Merge areas

From Johann Gail johann.gail at gmx.de on Tue Apr 26 20:55:30 BST 2011

>> Do you have a short draft how you want to detect that two areas are
>> touching?
> When two nodes follwing each other from one polygon are inside the other. Or on the outline of it.

Yeah, and you will have to test some 100 thousands of nodes, if they lie
inside one of a 10 thousands polygons. This will be as a number of thumb
10 ^ 9 tests (or add some more zeroes) of tests if the is node in
polygon area, which is not a cheap test by itself.

You will need at least some tricks with quadtrees or bounding box checks
to achieve reasonable runtimes.

In general I really like the idea of merging polygon areas. I have
mentioned it already in this mailing list. But up to now I haven't found
any practicable solution. The algorithm should merge two polygons even
if there is some space between it. Think of a map of small woods or
lakes, which should be combined to a bigger one and simplified, while
zooming out of the map. They are *not* overlapping or touching in most
of the cases.

I don't want discourage you, if you think, you have some working
solution, please let us know.

Regards,
Johann