logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Did anyone realize cGPSmapper speaks Garmin NT?

From Bartosz Fabianowski bartosz at fabianowski.eu on Tue Apr 26 16:43:40 BST 2011

Hi list

I remember many discussions and comments about how mkgmap produces
Garmin's legacy format only and the NT format is still a mystery. Today,
I was pointed at a discussion of the Polish UMP project (similar to OSM,
strongly concentrated on Poland and surrounds). As I happen to be Polish
and thus read the language, I browsed their wiki. I noticed that they
are producing Garmin NT maps. And then I found that their tool chain is
based on cGPSmapper [1]. So, is the Garmin NT format considered reverse
engineered now that the cGPSmapper source is open? Or has this
interesting fact been missed somehow (I certainly was unaware of it
until today)?

- Bartosz

[1] http://ump.fuw.edu.pl/wiki/Kompilacja_mapy