logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Can Extra Resolutions be Implemented

From Bill Lancashire bill.lancashire at o2.co.uk on Sun Apr 10 15:30:06 BST 2011

It is clear when zooming in on my GPSMAP 62s that Garmin can make use of
resolutions greater than 24 with regard to 'styling':

I have a map in which I go with the default 'styling' for 'Residential
Roads (0x06)' by not specifying this in my TYP file.  I zoom-in to the
point where I know that level=0 (resolution 24) is displayed and then
when I zoom-in further, the thickness of the 0x06 road in the Garmin
style definitely gets increases.  I can clearly see this if examine with
or without a magnifying glass on the screen.  So Garmin have definitely
got a way to extend their variation of line thickness's beyond the
resolution 24 level that is available for us to configure with mkgmap.

This maybe something new implemented on the newer Garmin GPS devices
that have higher resolution screens.  Can mkgmap be extended so that the
user can specify styles to appear when zoomed-in over resolution 24 like
Garmin do?.
/*
Bill.*/