logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Idea: map layers (multiple output tiles per input tile)

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Sun Apr 10 13:37:28 BST 2011

On 10.04.2011 14:22, Martin Simon wrote:
> 2011/4/10 Felix Hartmann<extremecarver at gmail.com>:
>>> Same here. My only issue with QLandkarteGT is the inability to plan
>>> routes.
>>>
>>> Again, the old way of doing things would not be going away. This
>>> multi-layer stuff would remain compatible with existing styles and
>>> scripts. To take advantage of it, you would have to edit the styles and
>>> scripts.
>>>

>> I'ld actually rather have the opposite. Get mkgmap to accept multiple
>> input files and merge them into the "same layer". That way one could
>> take 2 osm files, or one 1polish map, one osm, or one .img and one .osm
>> (say one contourlines, one normal map) and join them into one map.
> What's the benefit?

No need to use osmosis beforehand to join contourlines to .osm data.
>> Qlandkarte has gone a long way, but still Mapsource draws the maps
>> better looking, quicker and autorouting and generall track planning is
>> much quicker.
> On Linux? Serious question - when I get it to run on wine, it's dead
> slow and draws ugly, blurred tiles.

On both Ubuntu (not using Wine of course) and on Windows 7.
>> Also currently Mapsource is needed for sending maps to GPS where you
>> want to have address search.
> Right, but only few people take this workaround just to have
> half-working addresses on their devices, I guess.
>
>> What you're proposing might be appealing to a very small minority, but
>> for 99% of openstreetmap maps in Garmin format, they wouldn't even
>> understand, and furthermore cause loads of support trouble.
> What are you talking about? Map users? map authors? What support? What
> kind of trouble?
>
> Cool statistics. My own guess: "99%" of users just want to throw a
> gmapsupp.img onto their device and use that.
> "99%" of the remaining 1% don't care if mapsource draws all layers
> correctly. ;-)

I'ld say most users use mapsource to send maps to GPS. Especially for
all old generation GPS you are forced to use a prog to assemble the map
beforehand, as they only accept a single gmapsupp.img, and most users I
know have several maps on their GPS.

Also I think for most users tripplanning beforehand is more important
than the actual map on GPS itself.
>> For it to work nice IMHO the following points would need to be done to
>> Qlandkarte GT before it's really worthwile:
>> 1. Get rid of the stupid yellow points instead of POI symbols (well that
>> is a thing I should write to qlandkarte mailinglist)
> No yellow points here. Symbols from the .TYP file are displayed correctly.
Strange, I always get yellow points until zooming in very close. I
suppose this is a mechanism taken to get rid of POI from maps without
.TYPfile, or as general far too big POI symbols to show up useful - but
no good at all if the .TYP-file is well done.
>> 2. implement autorouting for garmin .img maps
> Would be nice, but there's already openrouteservice.org integration
> for a start...
Well and that is in no way as useful for outdoor activities. And for
motorcar navigation no OSM map can compete with Garmin City Navigator
maps (the problem is more in OSM data though than in mkgmap).
>> 3. implement a WinGDB like route-/trackpoint adding mechanism so
>> rerouting on GPS is fixed.
> I don't understand that one...
Well than google WinGDB and read up on what it can do. For me for
tripplanning it's essential.
>> 4. get a nice GUI to manage layers both for viewing and for selecting
>> what to send to GPS
> Yes, would be nice, but not really necessary...
only as long as you don't offer maps publicly. I wouldn't want to
support it as myriads of users don't read any instructions and many are
not even able to do so (if it ain't a video on youtube, they are lost).
>> 5. get qlandkarte GT to correctly create the address index for GPS
> Would be better to have this in mkgmap, don't you think?
Well both should have it. Mkgmap for gmapsupp creation, Qlandkarte GT
for creating index for sending maps to GPS.
>> Points 2-5 are all points that Oliver isn't interested in, so it's
>> rather on the people wanting to have multilayered maps to implement it
>> into Qlandkarte GT.
> It's on the people who want these features, I, personally, can live
> comfortably without them.
> I (and many others) could even live entirely without programs like
> mapsource and Qlandkarte - my usage of OSM Garmin maps for 99%  takes
> place on the device, outdoors.
>
> Is it just me or do you try to prevent a feature just because *you*
> have no use for it?
I'ld have use for it, when the problems I listed are solved. Before I
think it only makes life more complicated. There are simply too many
things users will do to completly break it).