logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Idea: map layers (multiple output tiles per input tile)

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Sun Apr 10 12:45:29 BST 2011

> Same here. My only issue with QLandkarteGT is the inability to plan
> routes.
>
> Again, the old way of doing things would not be going away. This
> multi-layer stuff would remain compatible with existing styles and
> scripts. To take advantage of it, you would have to edit the styles and
> scripts.

I'ld actually rather have the opposite. Get mkgmap to accept multiple
input files and merge them into the "same layer". That way one could
take 2 osm files, or one 1polish map, one osm, or one .img and one .osm
(say one contourlines, one normal map) and join them into one map.

Qlandkarte has gone a long way, but still Mapsource draws the maps
better looking, quicker and autorouting and generall track planning is
much quicker.

Also currently Mapsource is needed for sending maps to GPS where you
want to have address search.

What you're proposing might be appealing to a very small minority, but
for 99% of openstreetmap maps in Garmin format, they wouldn't even
understand, and furthermore cause loads of support trouble.

For it to work nice IMHO the following points would need to be done to
Qlandkarte GT before it's really worthwile:
1. Get rid of the stupid yellow points instead of POI symbols (well that
is a thing I should write to qlandkarte mailinglist)
2. implement autorouting for garmin .img maps
3. implement a WinGDB like route-/trackpoint adding mechanism so
rerouting on GPS is fixed.
4. get a nice GUI to manage layers both for viewing and for selecting
what to send to GPS
5. get qlandkarte GT to correctly create the address index for GPS

Points 2-5 are all points that Oliver isn't interested in, so it's
rather on the people wanting to have multilayered maps to implement it
into Qlandkarte GT.