logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Opening gmapsupp.img with Basecamp?

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sat Apr 9 14:29:21 BST 2011

Hello

> 1) Basecamp won't re-import it the manner that it imports a gmapsupp
> that mkgmap produces, which is annoying.
> 2) The values at OFF_HEADS and OFF_CYLINDERS are different and suggest
> the upper limits aren't what we think

Its possible that the maximums that I found were conditional on
something else. Also possible that some of the locations that are
indentified as containing heads/sectors are not correct.

> What's the etiquette for reverse engineering this stuff? Is it helpful
> for me to post e.g. "hd gmapsupp.img | head -n 20" or is that a bad

You need the file up to about 01d0, where the partition table ends, so
probably head -n 30 would be needed.

It would be useful to have the exact size of the gmapsupp.img file too.

 From your other message you appear to have a bunch of these, you can
just send those the headers to me if you like. I have an example of my
own, but need some more examples to really work it out.

Cheers
..Steve