logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Sensible resolutions - (or patch 5)

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Sat Mar 26 00:18:26 GMT 2011

Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi> writes:

> Actually, we do have a mean: if there are multiple parallel tracks (each
> drawn as a separate way with railway=*), it is a major railway. It
> should be doable to merge adjacent ways at lower resolutions and sum the
> "weights" of the ways, to decide what to draw. A style file extension
> could be useful, to specify e.g., the following:
>
> * draw individual railways at resolution 24
> * merge parallel tracks to one and draw them at resolution 22..23
> * merge parallel tracks to one and draw if count>1 at resolution 21
> * merge parallel tracks to one and draw if count>3 at resolution 20

I don't think that works.  Around me, there are many railroads that are
single-track but go long distances.

The 1950s or so USGS 1:250K topo maps are interesting; railroads are
thick black lines, since they used to be very important.

The right test is probably: do any long-distance routes use this way?
But really we just need to tag through railroads vs yards and sidings,
and have some way to combine double-track railroads at smaller scales.