logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Options overhaul

From Henning Scholland osm at aighes.de on Fri Mar 25 13:40:17 GMT 2011

Hi

I think it would be better for the user of mkgmap, that they get with
the same used parameter the same result. Opt-in is better then opt-out.
If I set --route, map should contain routing information and if I don't
set --route, there shouldn't be any routing information in the map. I
think this is important, because not every user of mkgmap reads
mkgmap-dev and knows, why the new map behave different with same
parameters.

If I set an old parameter or a parameter, which isn't necessary, mkgmap
should print out a warning and a short explanation. E.g. Don't use
--charset=cp1250, use --code-page=1250 instead.

To keep all users up to date, I think it would be the best way, to have
a wiki-page or direct at mkgmap-wiki-page a mkgmap-call which should be
used to create a good map. Or maybe in the help-printout of mkgmap a
hint, which parameter should be used in typical usecase. E.g. which
layer should be used to get a well performing map.

Henning