logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Missing sea in northern Italy

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Mar 21 07:55:43 GMT 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 01:17:56AM +0100, Daniela Duerbeck wrote:
>My map of Italy has glitches at the exact same spots, but they look a
>little bit different. It seems to me that a rectangular crop from
>Europe has fewer glitches than maps that show just a single country.
>Perhaps it has also to do with polygones that have to be closed
>automatically?

For what it is worth, the Geofabrik extract of Finland needs some
special treatment for mkgmap processing. I carefully selected the tiles
so that the coastline in the south-east corner of the map ends outside
the tile boundary. In the northwest, it was impractical to do this, so I
had to enable extend-sea-sectors for one tile, in order to close some
coastline that is outside the Finnish border.

Before I moved to osm.pbf processing, I had a sed or Perl script that
moved the endpoints of the coastline outside the then tile borders. That
worked too, but I no longer want to use the XML, for example, by editing
the osm.gz tiles from the splitter.

	Marko