logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] searching for housenumbers

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Fri Mar 11 08:26:03 GMT 2011

On 11.03.2011 01:57, Hendrik Oesterlin wrote:
> "Felix Hartmann" extremecarver at gmail.com wrote on 11/03/2011 at 04:39:28 +1100
> subject "[mkgmap-dev] searching for housenumbers" :
>
>> I don't really see why all the work on matching country/city to streets
>> is necessary, as it should be enough if addresses via housenumbers that
>> are present in OSM as such (containing all needed infos) would be good
>> enough. Is there any knowledge on how house numbers are encoded in
>> garmin maps or not?
> It would be possible to create simple POI for each house number and
> using a searchable Garmin code for them.
Do not crash the POI search. It ain't made for this. Bad solution.
> I was already thinking about this, but on my nüvi 755 I have no way to
> enter numbers in the POI search.... :-(  So it would be an sub-optimal
> workaround too.
>
> Or create a custom Garmin POI file using GPS Babel and not at all
> exploring the way via mkgmap and gmapsupp.img ?
>
> In the meantime, I have created a layer containing the
> addr:housenumber but using a not searchable garmin code. It is
> possible to select this point on the map using the finger and then
> "Go"  Thank to --road-name-pois  I search for the road and then select
> on the map the desired house number. :-/
>
> Anyway, there are still non enough addresses in OSM to make it really
> useful...

In Vienna I'ld say we have already about 1/3 of all addresses. It would
be worthwile. But only if included in the real address search.
cgpsmapper supports searching for house numbers (and also showing them
on the map on mouseover like Garmin City Navigator) via address search -
so in principal the code is available (though with polish documentation).