logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] searching for housenumbers

From Hendrik Oesterlin hendrikmail2002 at yahoo.de on Fri Mar 11 00:57:39 GMT 2011

"Felix Hartmann" extremecarver at gmail.com wrote on 11/03/2011 at 04:39:28 +1100
subject "[mkgmap-dev] searching for housenumbers" :

> I don't really see why all the work on matching country/city to streets
> is necessary, as it should be enough if addresses via housenumbers that
> are present in OSM as such (containing all needed infos) would be good
> enough. Is there any knowledge on how house numbers are encoded in
> garmin maps or not?

It would be possible to create simple POI for each house number and
using a searchable Garmin code for them.

I was already thinking about this, but on my nüvi 755 I have no way to
enter numbers in the POI search.... :-(  So it would be an sub-optimal
workaround too.

Or create a custom Garmin POI file using GPS Babel and not at all
exploring the way via mkgmap and gmapsupp.img ?

In the meantime, I have created a layer containing the
addr:housenumber but using a not searchable garmin code. It is
possible to select this point on the map using the finger and then
"Go"  Thank to --road-name-pois  I search for the road and then select
on the map the desired house number. :-/

Anyway, there are still non enough addresses in OSM to make it really
useful...

--
Sincerely
Hendrik Oesterlin - email hendrikmail2002 at yahoo.de