logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1882: MapSource installer improvements

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at orangecorreo.es on Mon Mar 7 14:34:30 GMT 2011

El 07/03/11 14:05, garvan&maew escribió:
> On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 10:48 +0200, Tomas Straupis wrote:
>
>> 2011-03-07 Marko Mäkelä:
>>
>>> Is there a "MapSource for dummies" for us poor Linux guys? I would like
>>> to convert the output of mkgmap --index to the device gmapsupp.img
>>> format, and I guess I would need MapSource under WINE for that. How
>>> would that work?
>>>
>>    Me too!
>>    Especially the part of "transferring the map to device". Because
>> launching MapSource via wine is ok, but later MapSource refuses to see
>> any GPS device attached...
>>
>> --
>> Tomas Straupis
>>
> Hi,
>
> WINE does not support USB devices, so the GPS connection options will be
> limited when running MapSource in WINE. I can make a serial connection
> to my etrex after creating the following link to com1: (ubuntu)
>
> sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
>
> and then load the kernel driver (if not already loaded)
>
> sudo modprobe garmin_gps
>
> but I recall that I can't get it to work with my Nuvi which appears to
> require a true USB connections. I don't think you can create a
> gmapsupp.img file because of the USB-WINE restriction.
>
> Also I am not 100% sure my instructions are complete, because I may have
> modifications to my system that I have forgotten.
>
> The best bet might be the non-open-source (but still free) version of
> virtualbox from Sun which I understand has usb drivers.

I have used MapSource under wine for a long time and I can send my maps
to devices (nuvi and etrex legend hcx) without problems. At [1] you have
instructions on how to install MapSource in Linux and enable usb (step
5); it worked for me.
[1]
http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_Mapsource_in_Linux