logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1882: MapSource installer improvements

From garvan&maew garvan.maew at online.com.kh on Mon Mar 7 13:05:39 GMT 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 10:48 +0200, Tomas Straupis wrote:
> 2011-03-07 Marko Mäkelä:
> > Is there a "MapSource for dummies" for us poor Linux guys? I would like
> > to convert the output of mkgmap --index to the device gmapsupp.img
> > format, and I guess I would need MapSource under WINE for that. How
> > would that work?
>
>   Me too!
>   Especially the part of "transferring the map to device". Because
> launching MapSource via wine is ok, but later MapSource refuses to see
> any GPS device attached...
>
> --
> Tomas Straupis

Hi,

WINE does not support USB devices, so the GPS connection options will be
limited when running MapSource in WINE. I can make a serial connection
to my etrex after creating the following link to com1: (ubuntu)

sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

and then load the kernel driver (if not already loaded)

sudo modprobe garmin_gps

but I recall that I can't get it to work with my Nuvi which appears to
require a true USB connections. I don't think you can create a
gmapsupp.img file because of the USB-WINE restriction.

Also I am not 100% sure my instructions are complete, because I may have
modifications to my system that I have forgotten.

The best bet might be the non-open-source (but still free) version of
virtualbox from Sun which I understand has usb drivers.

Garvan