logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Sensible resolutions - (or patch 5)

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Wed Mar 2 13:03:57 GMT 2011

On 02.03.2011 13:53, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 01:45:52PM +0100, Minko wrote:
>> Negative consequence is that on Mapsource most of the forest disappears
>> too soon, when zooming out.
> How hard would it be to merge nearby polygons on wider zoom levels?
It would not work I think. What would be needed is to generalise
polygons on lower zoom levels. Meaning merge them together, drop holes,
straighten them (well the dp-filter already takes care of that), and
have a seperate style-file where there are definitions on what gets
merged how. Ideally a hole or scrub part of a forest would be only
visible from resolution 24-22 or 24-21 (depending on the size of the
whole/scrub). It's the same as you only want to see single houses when
zoomed in close, when further away you want to see residential area, and
when even further away you want to sea where is urban vs nonurban area.
OSM sucks big in this regard and as long raster maps are the primary
outcome of OSM data (for lower zooms) then there will be no motivation
for change (change which means layering OSM data instead of one big
black hole to sink information into).