logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [index] Automatic location completion

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Tue Feb 22 22:34:05 GMT 2011

After the index branch has been developed so far that we can use the
results in MapSource (thanks to Steve!!) there is a big need for a
mechanism to fill missing location information.

There has been a lot of discussion about that. It stopped because it was
quite theoretical (from my point of view). Therefore I have started to
implement a prototype osm hook that tries to complete the missing
location information. I think the is_in tag is quite problematic
therefore I decided to use the addr tags.

Attached is a *very* early implementation that makes use of the boundary
polygons. It checks all nodes and ways/polygons within all boundary
polygons and fills the missing addr tags.

I think this is a better foundation for the discussion how we want to
fill the missing location information.

Before flaming me about terrible code please be aware that:
* the patch is not optimized
* it's version 1, so far away from handling all situations / countries
* it's a very early prototype

I would be happy if you try it and make some proposals how it could be
improved.

Some improvements I already know and thinking about:
* The new hook should run after the multipolygon finishing and not before
* The is_in tag should be handled
* boundary information propagation => First go through all boundaries
and add the information from higher levels to lower ones, i.e. add
addr:district to all city boundaries within that district
* Use landuse=residential information in combination with the place nodes
* In case a boundary level is missing (which mostly will be the case for
countries admin_level=2), select the addr information from all nodes and
ways within a boundary by using the most used addr-tag value. (in
germany the addr:country=DE should be the most used)

Have fun!
WanMil