logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address & city country name assignment.

From Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com on Wed Feb 16 14:20:44 GMT 2011

On 16 February 2011 13:28, Robert Vollmert <rvollmert-lists at gmx.net> wrote:

> My suggestion would be to move region (country, city) detection into a preprocessing step, outside of mkgmap. That is, some other tool preprocesses and normalizes the osm data and assigns consistent is_in tags. Then mkgmap looks only at the is_in tags.

That was actually my first thought on how to improve things. But the
problem is that you would potentially be doing this:

* Obtain hierarchy where the role of each element is known
* Flatten this into an ordered list of elements, still respecting a
hierarchy as best you can, but discarding the knowledge of roles
* Bring this flattened version of the data into mkgmap and attempt to
use the existing hints to extrapolate the knowledge of the roles that
you only just threw away in the last step.

So whereas I agree that what you describe would be a pre-processing
method involving least disruption to the current mkgmap code, it seems
valuable to go at least one level higher.

Dermot