logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Base map interfering with routing

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Feb 8 19:25:09 GMT 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 05:44:07AM +1100, Hendrik Oesterlin wrote:
>"Marko Mäkelä" marko.makela at iki.fi wrote on 07/02/2011 at 07:03:28 +1100
>subject "[mkgmap-dev] Base map interfering with routing" :
>
>> When I tested routing after moving most points to resolution 24, I hit a
>> big surprise. I let my Edge 705 calculate the route to this
>> shop=organic:
>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/370814886
>
>> .../...
>
>> I have successfully calculated a route to the shop before, but that was
>> with an older basemap. The old basemap displayed a toilet symbol near my
>> house; that's why I know. :-)
>
>The word "before" is probably the problem. In nuvi I figured out that
>the "Recent Finds" do sometimes not work correctly after updating the
>gmapsupp.img

No, I actually tried that months before, on a different device that had
a slightly different basemap. A button stopped clicking, and I returned
the device for warranty service, a couple of weeks before the end of the
2-year warranty period. The new try was on the replacement device, with
originally clean history, but admittedly with some gmapsupp.img
upgrades.

The "Recent Finds" menu is often corrupted after a gmapsupp.img upgrade
on the Edge 705. When I dare to select an item in the menu, the device
may crash or at least lose the map until the next reboot. But I was
using the Shops/Special menu.

>This seems to affect the routing even if you select the destination in
>the normal POI categories not only by selecting is in the recent finds
>folder.

I have never experienced anything like that. Only the Recent Finds menu
gives trouble for me.

I suspect that the problem was that the nearest way to the POI was a
routing island, not reachable from the rest of the map (including the
source point). I added some bicycle=yes footways across the
highway=pedestrian area. (That should not have been a sin, because the
bicycle route is marked on the plaza.) Let me retry with those ways in
place. Yes, it works, using the way that I added.

>My oregon 550 has not the possibility to empty the "recent finds", but
>I never had this routing errors on this device.

My Edge 705 empties it as part of a full memory erase or firmware
upgrade. :-)

	Marko