logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] a few points

From Jozef Riha jose1711 at gmail.com on Mon Feb 7 22:05:00 GMT 2011

Hello Marko,

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 07:22:11PM +0100, Jozef Riha wrote:
>>examples/styles/default/point:
>> tourism=information {name '${name} - ${description} (${operator})'..
>>[0x2f0c resolution 20]
>> - this is most likely not right as 2f0c is
>>auto-services|rest-area-tourist-info|Restroom (and also renders as such
>>in garmin).
>
> We already have a symbol for amenity=toilet, 0x4e00, which does not show
> up (and IMO does not need to show up) in the Where To? menu. Yes, the
> 0x2f0c displays as a toilet symbol when not using a TYP file, but in the
> Edge 705, the Where To? menu entry is in Auto services, called Rest
> Area/Tourist Info.
>
>>it could be that tourism=information couples with information=board
>>(there's no building). hence you cannot assume that restroom are always
>>present.
>
> Correct. We are deliberately repurposing the 0x2f0c a little. A similar
> "error" is with amenity=recycling. The Garmin symbol (utility) seems to
> be the opposite of recycling, because in German it says Versorgung
> (supply) instead of Entsorgung (disposal).
>
>> amenity=place_of_worship [0x2c0b resolution 21]
>> - this is probably correct with newer garmins but in etrex legend it
>>renders as an attraction, probably better to replace with
>>0x64|0x04|manmade-places|church|Church
>
> Does the 0x6404 show up in the Where To? menu? The 0x2c0b does, and the

I'm guessing Where To? menu corresponds to Find - Points of Interest
menu in Etrex Legend. And church can be selected here via Manmade
Place submenu as 0x6404. Regarding 2c0b - the attractions (2cXX) seems
to end at 2c0a (past this point everything's listed as
Attraction-Other), so it seems that this section had been extended by
Garmin in some point in future.

Oh and yes, eTrex Legend is very very old model. Monochrome and 8 mb
of memory for your maps :-)

> Finnish menu item in the Edge 705 means exactly "place of worship". One
> might want to navigate to the nearest church, e.g., as a tourist. The
> Edge 705 is quite "old" already. Is the etrex legend still available for
> sale?
>
>>garmin_feature_list.csv:
>> trial -> trail
>>
>>i generated a map containing all possible types of point. there are
>>quite a few that are displayed in garmin but not included in
>>garmin_feature_list.csv. are you interested in listing them?
>
> Yes. Please post a patch.
>
> It could be nice to list the Where To? menu items too, as in
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/POI_Types

please see attachment

cheers,

jose