logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] a few points

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Feb 7 20:58:04 GMT 2011

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 07:22:11PM +0100, Jozef Riha wrote:
>examples/styles/default/point:
> tourism=information {name '${name} - ${description} (${operator})'..
>[0x2f0c resolution 20]
> - this is most likely not right as 2f0c is
>auto-services|rest-area-tourist-info|Restroom (and also renders as such
>in garmin).

We already have a symbol for amenity=toilet, 0x4e00, which does not show
up (and IMO does not need to show up) in the Where To? menu. Yes, the
0x2f0c displays as a toilet symbol when not using a TYP file, but in the
Edge 705, the Where To? menu entry is in Auto services, called Rest
Area/Tourist Info.

>it could be that tourism=information couples with information=board
>(there's no building). hence you cannot assume that restroom are always
>present.

Correct. We are deliberately repurposing the 0x2f0c a little. A similar
"error" is with amenity=recycling. The Garmin symbol (utility) seems to
be the opposite of recycling, because in German it says Versorgung
(supply) instead of Entsorgung (disposal).

> amenity=place_of_worship [0x2c0b resolution 21]
> - this is probably correct with newer garmins but in etrex legend it
>renders as an attraction, probably better to replace with
>0x64|0x04|manmade-places|church|Church

Does the 0x6404 show up in the Where To? menu? The 0x2c0b does, and the
Finnish menu item in the Edge 705 means exactly "place of worship". One
might want to navigate to the nearest church, e.g., as a tourist. The
Edge 705 is quite "old" already. Is the etrex legend still available for
sale?

>garmin_feature_list.csv:
> trial -> trail
>
>i generated a map containing all possible types of point. there are
>quite a few that are displayed in garmin but not included in
>garmin_feature_list.csv. are you interested in listing them?

Yes. Please post a patch.

It could be nice to list the Where To? menu items too, as in
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/POI_Types

Best regards,

	Marko