logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Base map interfering with routing

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sun Feb 6 20:03:28 GMT 2011

When I tested routing after moving most points to resolution 24, I hit a
big surprise. I let my Edge 705 calculate the route to this
shop=organic:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/370814886

To my great surprise, Garmin used the base map for computing the route,
no matter which mode of transportation I chose. I thought that maybe my
map tile has grown too big, but splitting it into three did not help.
Then, I tried routing to some nearby points, such as the bus station
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/59967454, and that worked. I
can navigate to that point even when using a single map tile.

I wonder what is causing this? That the shop=organic could be located
exactly on a way on the basemap? One more interesting point is that I
did this calculation in demo mode, from about
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=60.3491678&lon=25.1092643&zoom=18.
When the route used the base map, this position jumped to about
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=60.3473225&lon=25.1271307&zoom=18
which was close to the way (ref=140) on the basemap.

I have successfully calculated a route to the shop before, but that was
with an older basemap. The old basemap displayed a toilet symbol near my
house; that's why I know. :-)

Regards,

	Marko