logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Changing styles and TYP integrating

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Feb 2 09:26:40 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:43:24PM +0100, Minko wrote:
>>How would you identify a footway? There is some path/cycleway/footway
>>controversy and ambiguity going on. Something like this?
>
>>highway=footway & bicycle=(yes|designated|permissive|official) [ 0x16
>>]
>>highway=footway [ 0x0d ] # other cases than the above
>>highway=path & bicycle=no [ 0x0d ]
>>highway=path & bicycle!=no [ 0x16 ]
>>highway=cycleway [ 0x16 ]
>
>I would suggest highway=path & bicycle=(yes|designated|permissive|official) [ 0x16 ]
>highway=path  [ 0x0d ] so the same as footways
>
>As far as I know on the Dutch map highway=path is a narrow trail in
>forests or on fields that are not suitable for cycling unless otherwise
>stated (with bicycle=yes, for mtb trails etc).

In JOSM presets, there is a combined foot and cycleway:

highway=path, segregated=no, bicycle=designated, foot=designated, ...

This should be mapped as a cycleway 0x16. But what I suggested above
obviously won't work; it turn forest paths into cycleways.

This idea should work:

highway=footway & bicycle=(yes|designated|permissive|official) &
snowplowing!=no [ 0x16 ]
highway=path & bicycle=(designated|permissive|official) &
snowplowing!=no [ 0x16 ]
highway=footway | highway=path [ 0x0d ] # other cases than the above
highway=cycleway [ 0x16 ]

The highway=path & bicycle=yes would be mapped to 0x0d, because there
are narrow forest paths that are somewhat suitable for bicycle use
(skilled rider, no trailer, not too much cargo). The distinction of
snowplowing=no could be useful for winter time. Unplowed roads are often
walkable but not that much rideable, except with a mountain bike.

>>>Other line types that are routable can be used as well to distinguish
>>>more type of highways that are rendered the same in the default map:
>>>0x0e 0x0f 0x10 0x11 0x12 0x13
>>>
>>>Think about bridges, tunnels, steps etc
>
>>I am a little reserved about this, but I agree that this could be useful
>>with a TYP file.
>
>I agree, someone has to maintain a default style file first otherwise
>it wouldnt make much sense.

Right, we would need a default TYP file maintainer and an open source
tool for generating binary TYP files. We would distribute a TYP file
that matches the default style, both in binary form and some textual
form.

>>>Polygons:
>>
>>>add landuse=grass to landuse=meadow
>>>add natural=heath [0x20 resolution 20]?
>>>add natural=sand | surface=sand to natural=beach
>
>>According to
>>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing_OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Area_Types
>>the 0x20 could work, but I would have to test it.
>
>>There is no natural=beach in the default style. What did you have in
>>mind?
>
>0x53?  sand/tidal/mud flat - although it looks like water in gpsmapedit :(

I will check the highway=path changes first.

>I use typviewer from http://opheliat.free.fr/michel40/
>to convert a typ file into txt format and back to typ which is also
>compatible with the online typ file editor from ati.land.cz
>Drawback is that it's only available in French.

Is there any source code available for that tool? I only saw Windows
executables.

Best regards,

	Marko