logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to fix amenity=shelter in the default style?

From Martin Simon grenzdebil at gmail.com on Wed Feb 2 07:56:33 GMT 2011

2011/2/1 Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi>:

> You are right, it is probably best to keep a 0x2b.. symbol for
> amenity=shelter for backward compatibility. It will take a while until
> all amenity=shelter that could be tourism=* have been converted. Until
> then, we just have to live with the bed symbol on amenity=shelter, or
> use a custom TYP file.

I actually have no opinion on changing vs. keeping the current Garmin
ID for amenity=shelter (I use my own style + TYP file anyway).
I just wanted to throw into the discussion that imho, amenity=shelter
ist indeed about shelter huts in the countryside (which i think is
what you meant by "hiking and tourism related"), that are unmanned and
unmanaged (and don't have sleeping facilities as they're not intended
for that).

(which doesn't mean I don't use them for sleeping when I'm on a multi-day-hike.)

> Sorry Peter Hendricks and others who feel amused or offended by the bed
> symbols on amenity=shelter in urban areas, the solution is to redefine
> the amenity=shelter icon by using a TYP file.

As I said, I have no opinion on the icon (and no clue about what
garmin wanted to express with their POI symbols)

Have fun,

Martin