logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to fix amenity=shelter in the default style?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Feb 1 20:52:22 GMT 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 03:41:50PM +0100, Martin Simon wrote:
>2011/1/31 Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi>:
>
>> If nobody can suggest a better symbol for amenity=shelter, I would
>> remove amenity=shelter altogether from the default style. There seems
>> to be some agreement that amenity=shelter may be too inaccurate
>> tagging for the tourism or hiking related shelters.
>
>I have to disagree; amenity=shelter was meant to be hiking and tourism
>related from the start.
>(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Shelter)

You are right, it is probably best to keep a 0x2b.. symbol for
amenity=shelter for backward compatibility. It will take a while until
all amenity=shelter that could be tourism=* have been converted. Until
then, we just have to live with the bed symbol on amenity=shelter, or
use a custom TYP file.

Sorry Peter Hendricks and others who feel amused or offended by the bed
symbols on amenity=shelter in urban areas, the solution is to redefine
the amenity=shelter icon by using a TYP file.

>> Side note: the unsearchable 0x6412 'hiker symbol' could be a good
>> choice for some minor hiking feature. I think that sites where
>> overnighting is possible do require a searchable symbol.
>
>While I think it's good to distinguish simple structures like shelters
>from fully equipped overnighting places, it would be cool if shelters
>were searchable, so you can do a search for the nearest shelter when
>weather turns bad...

As an all-weather, all-year bicyclist, I agree with you. This was one of
the main reasons why I added the rules for highlighting shelter=yes/no
in bus stop names.

Best regards,

	Marko