logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Changing styles and TYP integrating

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Jan 31 21:49:38 GMT 2011

Hi Minko,

I am sorry for this awfully late reply.

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:55:54AM +0100, Minko wrote:
>I have also some suggestions/comments to the default style:

>highway=pedestrian (roadtype 0x06) has the same line type as
>unclassified roads, why? Garmin has also a line type 0x0d [Pedestrian
>area] which is routable as well.

Your suggestion of replacing the 0x06 with 0x0d makes sense, provided
that it is routeable and does not imply bicycle=no. (In Finland,
bicycling up to 20 km/h is allowed on pedestrian areas.)

>a suggestion could be to change this into 0x0d or the same as footway, 0x16

How would you identify a footway? There is some path/cycleway/footway
controversy and ambiguity going on. Something like this?

highway=footway & bicycle=(yes|designated|permissive|official) [ 0x16 ]
highway=footway [ 0x0d ] # other cases than the above
highway=path & bicycle=no [ 0x0d ]
highway=path & bicycle!=no [ 0x16 ]
highway=cycleway [ 0x16 ]

>In my custom styles I use type 0x0d for footways, paths, pedestrian
>ways and they route fine
>Line Type 0x16 can then be used for cycleways, which are now rendered
>the same as footways in the default style.

Right, it could be useful to distinguish cycleways (or
foot-and-cycleways) from foot-only ways.

>Other line types that are routable can be used as well to distinguish
>more type of highways that are rendered the same in the default map:
>0x0e 0x0f 0x10 0x11 0x12 0x13
>
>Think about bridges, tunnels, steps etc

I am a little reserved about this, but I agree that this could be useful
with a TYP file.

>Polygons:
>
>add landuse=grass to landuse=meadow
>add natural=heath [0x20 resolution 20]?
>add natural=sand | surface=sand to natural=beach

According to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing_OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Area_Types
the 0x20 could work, but I would have to test it.

There is no natural=beach in the default style. What did you have in
mind?

>I wrote earlier about a proposal to put some kind of standard TYP file
>to the default styles. The Mapnik ones from Lionel aka Petrovsk are
>suitable for this and he already give his permission to enhance it.
>Maybe this can be worked out and translated it into German, English etc

I can help with a Finnish translation. How would this TYP file be
maintained? Is there some editable (text) format and an editor that is
free software? Quite a while back, I was toying with the idea of
composing a TYP file from an assembler source file, but I never got
around to completing it.

Best regards,

	Marko