logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter problem was: Re: How to solve/debug weird problem

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Jan 22 21:07:35 GMT 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 08:59:05PM +0100, Johannes Formann wrote:
>Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 05:46:56PM +0100, Johannes Formann wrote:
>> >Where should I start, my Ideas would be throwing out the countourdata,
>> >geonames?
>>
>> If I were you, I would put the contours on a separate map layer.
>> Different layers can be split at different borders. Contours ought to be
>> much more constant than OSM data. Wouldn't it suffice to compile the
>> contours once and then combine the compiled contours to the gmapsupp.img
>> with the regularly compiled OSM data?
>
>Sounds like a good idea.
>Do you have a good source where to look how to join those maps for the
>different output formats?

Minko and Charlie just discussed some extra constraints if you have
contours on a separate layer:

http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2011q1/009883.html

I have not bothered to experiment with contours myself. The NASA SRTM
data is very inaccurate where I live, and it only covers the very south
of Finland, to about 1km north of my home. My maps do contain three
layers: in addition to the main (style=default) layer there are layers
for style=routes (bus and bike routes and such) and style=control (speed
bumps and the like). These extra layers are very sparse, and thus they
cover the whole finland.osm.pbf (not split in tiles). See osm2img.sh at
http://www.polkupyoraily.net/osm/ for details.

Best regards,

	Marko