logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Improved street search in index branch

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Mon Jan 17 10:14:17 GMT 2011

Hi everyone

Well it appears that the results vary wildly!

Trouble is that everyone has their own set of map tiles a different
set of options and so it is very difficult to make sense of the
results.

It would be helpful to create an index of different sizes from the
same tiles and same options.

- create a set of tiles
- start creating the index, tdb, etc files with just one tile (the
   smallest perhaps).
- test a number of searches
- save the index and record the results against it.
- repeat with two tiles and the same tests

I'd stick with some basic tests, some of:

- Search for a street only
- search for street+city
- with/without accented characters
- attempt to download to device (don't have to complete it, if it is
   not going to work it usually fails very quickly).

I am expecting that you will get very different results with different
sized indexes and hoping that together we will get enough information
to work out the problems.

..Steve