logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Sea generation

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Thu Nov 4 18:52:38 GMT 2010

Hi all,

I have started to rework the sea generation code. There have been
several reports of problems with flooded tiles in the last weeks so I
think it is neccessary to improve some parts of it.

The first thing I've started is to implement a flooded tile blocker. The
algorithm has been discussed a while ago on this list. It uses a
quadtree implementation which is able to return all points contained by
a polygon. The quadtree is filled with all highway points. If a sea
polygon contains too many points that belong to highways something is
wrong and the sea polygon is discarded.

That's the idea... Let's see how it works.
The quadtree might also be used to correct wrong sea polygons. But
that's one of the further steps.

Do you have any other ideas how to improve the sea generation and how to
make it more failsafe? Then please let me know.

Have fun!
WanMil