logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Missing ways part 1

From Scott Crosby scrosby at cs.rice.edu on Fri Oct 22 20:09:09 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Adrian <ar2988-os at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Marko wrote:
> > If I remember previous discussions correctly, splitter does not split
> > lines exactly at the tile border, but instead it includes all nodes
> > that are not too much outside the tile.
>
> That is also what I understood. Splitter includes in each tile, the
> nodes that fall within the tile, and also the nodes in an overlap region
> around the tile. The width of the overlap can be set with --overlap.
>
> > An almost-straight long way can be drawn with few nodes. You could
> > help the situation by adding a point to the line close to the
> > splitting border.
>
> I would expect it to cause a problem, if a particular way does not have
> a node in the overlap region. The difficulty with your fix is that it
> would only work for me (and only if I use the same areas.list each
> time); it will not work for other users. Also, it will not work for me
> in the long term, because data is continuously added to OSM, so the
> tiles need to be made smaller as time goes on.

If the overlap region is always bigger than the largest internode spacing
between two nodes in a way, then this shouldn't be a problem. Decide a
distance, say, 20km, and then set the overlap to be that distance. Finding
and fixing ways that violate the rule can be done by a bot.

As a workaround, until the mkgmap problem is diagnosed, increase the
overlap. Check out the crosby_integration splitter branch. It can correctly
handle large overlaps.

Scott