logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [GeoNames] GarminID's GoogleDocs spreadsheet

From Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com on Fri Oct 22 16:54:37 BST 2010

cool,
thanks.
I'll be adding columns for a sample feature of each type. So far, i
think i found about 1/2 of them by looking at New Zealand and Iceland.

I can easily cross ckeck with usgs and tiger feature schemas.
But for the 1st part, I want to get the best GarminID code that fits
with geonames.

I should have a much clearer chart in about 1 months time, and
probably mostly filled in too :)

cheers,
sam

On 10/22/10, Marc Wick <marc at geonames.org> wrote:
> The feature code scheme is based on the scheme used by the US government
> for foreign names (national geospatial agency).
> Some codes have been dropped and a few others have been added.
>
> Best
>
> Marc
>
> Sam Vekemans wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> With thanks to Marcel Bokhorst, who created the gn2mp conversion script,
>> I created the GoogleDocs chart listing all of the features
>>
>> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Am70fsptsPF2dENGRWNOQ3lmeU5UbWlORFZTZFpvRWc&hl=en
>>
>> I have cross-posted this message to the mkgmap developers, who are
>> working on the conversion program which takes the OpenStreetMap
>> Features and figures out exactly which Xml KEY/VALUE pairs match up
>> with the GarminIDs.
>>
>> I'm still working on the charts, for example the detailed GarminIDs with
>> the
>> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Am70fsptsPF2dGdSaEwwTUx5eGtzSFdPbmZPQlpBTEE&hl=en
>>
>> And am currently working on finding a sample from GeoNames to show for
>> each feature.
>>
>> So my 1 question for the geonames group is, what is the origional
>> source for the map feature schema? Was it created from scratch or
>> derived from somewhere?
>> Thanks,
>> Sam Vekemans
>> Across Canada Trails
>>

>> ---
>> Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
>> Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
Skype: samvekemans
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #osm-ca Canadian OSM channel (an open chat room)
@Acrosscanadatrails