logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitting and filtering osm.pbf

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Oct 21 07:06:34 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 02:59:09PM +0100, Adrian wrote:
>Marko wrote:
>>Do you have any suggestion how to implement the following with the PBF
>>format:
>>

>At least as a temporary solution, try changing
>bzip2 -dc "$OSM_BZ2"|
>osmosis --rb "$OSM_PBF" --wx - |
>
>In other words you use osmosis to convert from .osm.pbf to .osm; and
>using pipeline features you can avoid writing the .osm file to disk if
>you wish.

Thanks, I will do that. Ultimately, I may do the custom filtering
directly in splitter or osmosis, whichever works better for splitting
the tiles for mkgmap.

Does the osm.pbf format make Osmosis a more feasible option now? Does
anyone use Osmosis for splitting rectangular tiles for mkgmap? If so,
with which options?

>[Incidentally, I believe I have sorted out the problem which caused my
>replies to start new threads.]

You seem to have. Something (mailing list software or your MUA) may
still be destroying the space-stuffing of my text/plain; format=flowed
messages, but I guess we can live with that. :-)

	Marko