logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Different routing results using osm vs osm.pbf

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Oct 19 21:30:31 BST 2010

On 19.10.2010 22:06, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> On 19/10/10 15:58, Carlos Dávila wrote:
>> Yesterday I tested pbf input for mkgmap for the first time. Map was
>> built apparently without errors, but using the resulting map on
>> MapSource I get a suboptimal route, compared with the one I get using
>> osm as input. I used portugal.osm and portugal.osm.pbf from geofabrik
>> for the test. Today geofabrik is offering corrupt excerpts, so I can't
>> make further tests by now.
> That is interesting.
>
> If the .osm and .osm.pbf contain the same data then mkgmap should
> produce exactly the same map in both cases ignoring timestamps
> if you add --preserve-element-order in both cases.
> In the cases I tested this was true.

How comes that --preserve-element-order is still doing anything???
As inside the style-file you can't place to rules to be enacted at the
same time (on the condition whatever is first in the data) the
--preserve-element-order shouldn't matter anymore (since the
style-system got reorganized around half a year ago).

 From my understanding, if --preserve-element-order would still change
something, then there has to be a bug somewhere (cause the rules are not
run against the order inside the osm file, but the osm file is matched
against the rules of the style-file depending on the rule order...).