logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitting the entire planet in one pass.

From Chris Miller chris_overseas at hotmail.com on Fri Sep 17 08:06:12 BST 2010

> A new set of patches and line of development in my tree.

Wow, looks like you've been really busy on this. Fantastic work! Sounds like
you've implemented a lot of things I've wanted to investigate but haven't
even had time to look at let alone code up. And all the great performance
improvements aside, I think a lot of people will be very interested in the
potential of non-rectangular area support so they can clip to eg country
boundaries.

As I see it the one big remaining problem to solve is to include entire ways
& relations if one of their nodes falls within (or they encompass) an area.
I think only certain ways/rels need to be taken into account for this which
should make the problem a bit easier to deal with.

(as an aside, if you want to read more along the lines of compressed oops,
take a look at http://blogs.sun.com/jrose/entry/fixnums_in_the_vm to see
where things are hopefully headed within the VM. It should, among other things,
make using autoboxed primitives much much cheaper)

Chris