logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Binary format update

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Thu Sep 16 18:33:27 BST 2010

Hi Steve,

that was a quick implementation!

I haven't tried so far the new binary format. I haven't found a download
for the osmprotobuf.jar. Is there any? Download links should be added to
the documentation and the website if the changes are merged back.

I had some thoughts if the splitter is still needed with this new
format. The website of the new protocol tells me that the operation
getNodesbyBoundingBox(north,south,east,west) is supported. So it should
be possible to start mkgmap with the bbox definition of all tiles (like
the areas.list file of the tile splitter) and a planet dump file?  The
splitter work could be reduced to generate a reasonable areas.list file.
Are there any objections on this?

Thanks for you work, Steve!
WanMil