logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Binary OSM file support?

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Mon Sep 13 12:06:38 BST 2010

Hi Scott

I am adding support for your binary format to mkgmap itself (not the
splitter).

Now I've done enough refactoring of the XML reader to allow me to
start I have a few questions.

1. Is there an final name for the format and the jar file?

2. Is there an 'offical' download location for a pre-built jar file?

3. How do I recognise a file in your format.  Is there a conventional
    file extension for it?
    Are the OSMHeader and OSMData blocks required file block types?

4. Does the osmosis conversion from XML to binary keep the order of
    the elements the same as they were in the XML file?

..Steve