logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Changes to Osm5XmlHandler for binary format

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Fri Sep 10 09:36:02 BST 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 08:52:45AM +0100, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
>This is a note to let everyone know that to support the binary format
>(and because it is a good idea anyway), the Osm5XmlHandler file will be
>split up so that it just handles reading XML and forming the
>node/way/relation objects.  Everything else will be moved to other
>classes.

This is a welcome change. I hope that the binary format will speed up
the processing and reduce the download sizes (if map extract providers
switch to the binary format soon).

>I have a basic plan, but if you have any ideas on how the code should
>be organised then please post them.

I think that the cycleway=opposite handling would better be implemented
in a style definition. If I remember correctly, the special code in
Osm5XmlHandler was added before "continue" or "continue_with_actions"
were implemented in the style processor. Doing it in the style file
should take less code and be easier to understand and fine-tune.

Best regards,

	Marko