logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] missing coastline polygon lately

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Sep 8 08:03:59 BST 2010

Dear Maning,

>> Unless your map extract is a perfect island, you may have to move the
>> coastline endpoints to make mkgmap happy.
>I think it is, the Philippines is an island/archipelagic country:
>
>http://osm.org/go/4y4z4--

What matters is the map extract that you are using. If it contains
half-cut islands from, say, Indonesia, then mkgmap may have problems
with that.

>> coastline generation for Finland, I both adjusted the Geofabrik
>> cutting polygon (it took a few iterations with Frederik Ramm) and
>> moved the endpoints of the mainland coastline to the tile boundaries
>Do you mean using splitter?  I am not using splitter at the moment
>since the data is small enough as one img.

No, I mean the map extract that I can download from
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/. To my knowledge, it is cut by
Osmosis, using a cutting polygon. I requested the polygon from Frederik
and adjusted it a little, so that all of the Finnish administrative
boundary was included in the extract and all lake multipolygons near the
border were intact.

I do use splitter to split the map extract further (currently into 6
tiles), but that is a separate issue.

	Marko