logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address search

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Aug 23 06:42:26 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 03:21:59PM +0200, Frédéric Bonifas wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Two remarks on address search with a Vista Hcx :
>
>* even if I don't know the address number, I have to write a number in
>order to find the street

Right, and any number seems to yield the same point, about mid-way the
street. We do not know how to encode the house numbers, do we, or would
it work if the map is generated with mkgmap --index and transferred to
the device from MapSource? As far as I understand, addr:* only shows up
in the POI details.

>* I use the splitter to generate a map for France. It splits the file
>in something like 60 pieces. I can only search an address in the piece
>of map I am currently in. A trick to go around that : go to the
>"Satellite" page of the GPS, turn satellite search off, then "new
>location" and choose a location near the address you want to search, so
>that the GPS searches in the same piece of map than the address.

It is similar on the Edge 705, except that the only way that I know to
enter the location is to hide the device from the GPS signals and wait
until the satellite search times out.

I tested this a short time ago by searching for a street "Kisatie"
("competition street") that exists in many cities as a small street next
to a sports facility. Searching for something like "main street"
(whatever it is called in every town in your country) might not work
that well, because the street could be divided to several sections (some
restricted from motor vehicles).

The furthest "Kisatie" that I could find was some 150km away. Entering
the city name did not help; only moving the current location near the
desired city did. I didn't check if the search found all the streets in
the current tile, nothing more or less. The POI search (such as
searching for a shop) does seem to work across tiles.

Best regards,

	Marko