logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] one wish for creating a style

From Harri Suomalainen harri.suomalainen at iki.fi on Wed Aug 18 18:05:20 BST 2010

On 08/18/2010 08:53 AM, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 07:41:55AM +0300, Harri wrote:
>> >Here's an example from my style how I use adding info multiple times:
>> >
>> ># append to name
>> >highway=cycleway&  surface=paved   {set name='${name}+P'}
>> >highway=cycleway&  surface=unpaved {set name='${name}-P'}
> (How) do you watch these names when riding your bike? Have you
> considered using different line styles for all 4 combinations of
> {paved,unpaved}×{lit,unlit}? Something like this would be useful when
> mapping. Also segregated=yes/no, moped=yes/no, but that would blow up to
> 16 combinations already.

Some navigators like my car navigator show the name of the street I'm
riding on. On my Oregon (which I use for bicycle) the current road is
not shown (unless navigating). However, it displays names for other
streets on the map (perticulary the crossing streets).

Actually I have a fixme-layer which includes my watched tags. It
overlays the info using different lines. I agree that is is a lot more
usefull. It makes mapping a lot more efficient, because if I see
something missing on a nearby road (the one I'm riding on), I usually
get a photo and add it later on. It also helps a lot in getting to the
road near by even if my current location has no missing features. This
has helped me a lot in getting more info.

I use both, because if I were to watch for too many features, the
different line types would easily get too complex to remember. My watch
list includes currently surface, lit, maxspeed, name, name:sv and
snowplowing on winter. That would give me 36 combinations already while
it fits in a few easy-to-remember characters.
--
Harri