logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Turn restriction for highway=motorway[_link]

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Aug 9 05:56:07 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 07:03:33PM +0100, Dermot McNally wrote:
>On 8 August 2010 17:41, Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> shoulders) but the only choice in the area. I believe that the
>> default style (correctly) does add bicycle=no to highway=trunk. When
>> I get
>
>If this is so, then the default should be changed. The fact that
>various countries have overloaded trunk for their own usage is not a
>reason to force everybody else to add redundant tags to thousands of km
>of road.

I think that it has to be done on a case-by-case basis. If there is a
lesser road nearby, then the default (bicycle=no) is OK. If there is no
other practical choice or there is only light traffic on the road, then
bicycle=yes makes sense. I would say that bicycle=no is a sensible
default for highway=trunk.

By the way, at least in Finland, many cycleways are still missing,
especially outside cities. There are some cycleways along some trunk
roads, close to more densely inhabited areas.

	Marko